OVERVIEW David Stanush is a member of the firm's Estate Planning & Probate and Trust & Estate Litigation Practice Groups.
David's practice encompasses federal gift, estate and generation skipping transfer tax, planning for U.S. citizens; Conduct of probate, trust and guardianship litigation; counseling fiduciaries and beneficiaries in the administration of decedent's estates, inter-vivos and testamentary trusts, and guardianships for incapacitated persons; and representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service in federal gift, estate, and generation skipping transfer tax matters.
David is Board Certified in Estate Planning & Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Admitted, Texas
- Certified Public Accountant, Texas
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization Estate Planning and Probate Law Advisory Commission, 2009-2011
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- San Antonio CPA Society , Board of Directors 2000-2005, Vice President 2002-2005
- San Antonio Bar Association, Co-Chair, Pro Bono Estate Planning Clinics, 1993-1995
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2010
The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1987, with honors
The University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1981, with highest honors
- Provided advice to individuals on estate planning for death or incapacity. Such advice included tax planning for all federal taxes as well as inheritance and income taxes of different states and foreign countries, non-tax planning for minor children, and many other aspects of estate planning.
- Provided advice to individuals and fiduciaries in controversies with the Internal Revenue Service on audits of federal estate and gift tax returns.
- Provided advice to individual and corporate fiduciaries during the administration of decedent's estates, guardianship estates, and trusts, included the preparation of federal estate tax returns, probate inventories and accountings, as well as advice on funding of bequests.
- Provided advice to beneficiaries of estates and trusts to determine and enforce their rights as beneficiaries.
- Participated in litigation matters involving estates, guardianships and trusts from the standpoints of both the fiduciary and the beneficiary. Such matters included, but are not limited to, participation in numerous trials in the Courts of the State of Texas as well as appeals of trial court decisions to the Appellate Courts of the State of Texas.
- Served as an expert witness in trials involving decedent's estates, guardianships and trusts.
- Provided advice to fiduciaries and beneficiaries of trusts and estates as well as in divorce and marital planning situations on the proper characterization under Texas law of property as either separate or community property of a married couple.
Nuts and Bolts of Estate Planning: A Primer on Texas Estate Planning Instruments, HEB Retirees Club - San Antonio Chapter (14 Feb. 2012).
- United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named among The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White, Inc., 2001-2013
- Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2012
- Named among Top 50 Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2009
- Named among San Antonio's Best Estate Planning and Trust Attorneys, S.A. Scene magazine, 2004-2008, 2010-2012