OVERVIEW John Tate is Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and the American Board of Certification. John's practice is devoted to insolvency, business reorganization, asset protection strategies, and related areas, including litigation in the bankruptcy court.
- Admitted, Texas
- Admitted, U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Western, Southern and Northern Districts of Texas
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- St. Mary's University School of Law, Adjunct Professor, 1978-1979
- San Antonio Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Texas Foundation
- The University of Texas School of Law, Alumni Association Executive Committee, 2004-2010
The University of Texas at Austin, J.D., 1972
United States Military Academy, B.S., 1964
- Represented debtors, creditors, and creditor committees (ranging from sole proprietors to major corporations) in all types of bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings.
- Worked with clients acquiring financially troubled businesses, both in and out of bankruptcy cases.
- Successfully reorganized a large grocery store chain and numerous real estate projects.
- Represented major creditors in significant bankruptcy cases.
- Represented landlords in numerous local and major national retail bankruptcy reorganizations.
- Represented Trustees and beneficiaries of Trusts and other charitable institutions in protecting Trust assets from inclusion in bankruptcy estates.
- Represented future claims representatives in mass tort (silica and asbestos) cases.
- Assisted high net worth individuals in asset protection planning strategies.
- City Council of Olmos Park, Mayor Pro Tem, 1985-1998
- Rotary Club of San Antonio, Member, Officer, Director
- West Point Society of South Texas, Board of Directors
- Awarded the Bronze Star and Air Medal
- South Central States Regional Advisor to the Board of Directors of the West Point Association of Graduates
- U.S. Army, Veteran - Ranger and Airborne Qualified, Berlin Brigade 1964 -1967, Fifth Mechanized Infantry Brigade in the Republic of Vietnam July, 1968 to August, 1969
- Named among Best Lawyers in America®, by Woodward/White, Inc., Inception -2013
- Named among Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson and Reuters, 2003-2012
- Named among San Antonio's Best Bankruptcy and Workout Attorneys by Scene in SA magazine, 2004-2007, 2009-2011
- Named Outstanding Lawyer Award Winner in Bankruptcy by San Antonio Business Journal, 2010