Cynthia Day Grimes maintains a litigation practice with an emphasis in commercial disputes and litigation involving health law, health care providers, life sciences industry and medical products. She represents physicians and dentists before their licensing boards and health care providers in peer review disputes. Cynthia has tried 70 jury trials involving complex issues and catastrophic damages including nine brain injury cases. She has been board certified in two areas by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1984: Civil Trial Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation.
Cynthia is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Admitted, Texas; United States District Court, Western, Eastern, Northern and Southern
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1984, 1989, 1994, 1999, 2004, 2009)
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1984, 1989, 1994, 1999, 2004, 2009)
- American College of Trial Lawyers, State Committee Member, 2008-2010
- Defense Research Institute, Inc.
- Course director for Access to Justice Trial Academy for the Public Interest Lawyers sponsored by the State Bar of Texas conducted at the University of Texas Law School, 2008; Faculty - 2009-2012
SMU Dedman School of Law, J.D., 1975
University of Houston, B.A., 1973, cum laude
- Successful defense of many cases involving hospital, nursing homes and health care providers.
- Represented medical group in TRO against a hospital.
- Represented a hospital in commercial litigation by a medical doctor asserting interference with a contractual relationship, libel, and breach of contract.
- Successful defense of a University in a jury trial arising out of the death of a student on the cross country team while running off campus.
- Defense of a surgical center with allegations of fraud, negligence and failure to credential in a suit by a quadriplegic seeking damages from surgery.
- Defense of product manufacturers in litigation claiming injury from durable medical products.
- Represented a component part manufacturer in the resolution of claims involving over 1000 patients nationally.
- Obtained dismissal in two cases for a company that serves as the IRB for clinical trials.
- Regularly represents healthcare professionals before their respective Boards.
- Defense jury verdict for a health care provider in a California trial court where plaintiffs were asserting brain damage because of negligence.
Author, Twelve Angry Men?, MD News (Aug. 2013)
Speaker and Author, Hot Topics in New and Existing Medical Device Technologies: What is on the Horizon From the Scientific and Legal perspectives? 24th Medical Device Seminar in Yosemite (June 2011).
Faculty, Demonstration of objections to cross examination of witness, Texas Access to Justice Commission Trial Academy (May 2011).
Faculty, Demonstration of cross examination of expert, Texas Access to Justice Commission Trial Academy (2010).
Speaker and Author, Non-manufacturer Sellers of Medmarc Products: Helping or Hurting the Defense. Webinar (Sept. 2009).
Panelist, Women in the Legal Profession: Recognizing and Developing Your Style, Women's Initiative Program- ALFA, Chicago, Illinois (2009).
Panel Member, The ABC's of Investigations and the Legal Ramifications of the Process. 2008 Product Liability Practice Group Seminar, ALFA (Nov. 2008).
Moderator, Re-Tooling Your Practice after Tort Reform, DRI Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C. (2007).
Speaker, Controlling the Uncontrollable: How Recent Drug Safety Legislation and Tort Reform Will Affect Products Liability Risk, 12th Annual Drug & Device Litigation Seminar in New York (Dec. 2007).
Moderator, Retooling your Practice after Tort Reform, DRI Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. (Oct. 2007).
Lawyer Talk: What do We Really Think About Mock Trials, Jury Consultants and Focus Groups? Eighteenth Annual Medical Device Seminar, Quebec City MEDMARC (June 2005).
A Multi-State Survey of Health Care Law, Presented by the Health Care Practice Group of ALFA International/American Law Firm Association (1999).
- SAGE: San Antonio Guatemalan Endeavor, conducts a yearly medical and home makeover mission trip into the mountains of Guatemala, Development Board Member (2011-2012); Team Member (2008-2010, 2013)
- Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2013
- Named among Best Lawyers in America in the practice areas of Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants and Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, by Best Lawyers, 2011 - 2014
- Best Lawyers' 2014 San Antonio Health Care Law "Lawyer of the Year" and San Antonio Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named among San Antonio's Best Lawyers by S.A. Scene magazine, 2005-2010, 2013
- Fortress "Outstanding Service and Partnership" Award, 2007
- Medmarc "Attorney of the Year" Award, 2007
- Attorney of the Year, AAOMS National Insurance Company, 1999