John Alex Huddleston is experienced in a broad range of commercial and tort litigation matters. His practice includes business and commercial litigation; defense of professional liability claims against architects, engineers, environmental consultants, accountants and attorneys; construction litigation; banking and securities litigation; products liability, environmental litigation; and transportation industry litigation.
- Admitted, Texas; U.S. District Courts for Southern, Northern, Western and Eastern Districts
- Admitted, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Admitted, U.S. Supreme Court.
- State Bar of Texas Litigation Section and Construction Law Section
- American Bar Association Litigation Section and Construction Industry Section
- San Antonio Bar Association, Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- American Bar Foundation
- Defense Research Institute
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- San Antonio Bar Association, former Board Member
- State Bar of Texas District 10 B Grievance Committee, former member and Chairman
- Bexar County Legal Aid Association, former Board Member
- Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid
St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D., 1977
Trinity University, B.S., Business Administration, 1973
Transportation and Personal Injury Litigation
- Represented national bank in litigation involving claims of fraud and breach of complex loan agreement secured by hundreds of oil and gas leases and negotiated favorable settlement.
- Represented radio broadcaster and company president in jury trial of suit by radio station broker in federal district court in San Antonio involving claims of fraud and breach of contract resulting in jury verdict of no liability for company president and no award of punitive damages.
- Represented securities broker dealer and negotiated favorable settlement of litigation in state court in Cameron County, Texas brought by family of deceased customers alleging fraud, unauthorized trading, mismanagement of accounts, improper selection of investments, churning of accounts, and negligent supervision of branch manager.
- Defended trucking company and driver in jury trial of personal injury suit in state court in Bexar County, Texas arising from multiple vehicle accident on interstate highway and obtained defense verdict.
- Defended trucking company and driver in jury trial of personal injury suit in state court in Frio County, Texas arising from collision between tractor trailer and farm tractor and obtained defense verdict.
- Defended trucking company and driver in jury trial of wrongful death suit in state court in Hidalgo County, Texas arising from rollover accident on interstate highway and obtained favrorable settlement after several days of trial and before verdict returned.
- Defended trucking company and driver in jury trial of personal injury suit brought by multiple plaintiffs in state court in Webb County, Texas arising from chemical exposure due to cargo contamination and obtained defense verdict.
- Defended oil and gas operator in jury trial of personal injury suit in LaSalle County, Texas brought by oil field worker who injured spine in fall from drilling rig and appealed adverse judgment to Texas Supreme Court which reversed trial court judgment and rendered judgment in favor of client operator. Clayton W. Williams, Jr., Inc. v. Olivo,952 S.W.2d 523 (Tex. 1997).
Construction and Professional Liability Litigation
- Defended suit in state court in Maverick County, Texas brought by residential subdivision developer against client environmental engineering firm which performed Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment and failed to discover abandoned municipal landfill. Court entered summary judgment in favor of client.
- Represented large metal building contractor which designed and erected multiple large buildings on a high school campus in suit in Bexar County, Texas brought by general contractor for breach of contract, fraud and delay damages and obtained summary judgment for client and later negotiated favorable settlement after appeal by adverse party.
- Defended architectural firm in four suits in Hidalgo County, Texas brought by school district alleging numerous design and contstruction defects in fourteen school buildings and negotiated settlement of all claims.
- Defended mechanical electrical and plumbing engineering firm in lawsuit brought by school district in Webb County, Texas alleging numerous design and construction defects in new high school building and negotiated favorable settlement.
- Defended structural and civil engineering firm in suit brought by residential subdivision developer alleging negligent design of foundation and site drainage and obtained voluntary dismissal of all claims against client after completion of discovery without any payment to plaintiff.
- Defended architectural firm in suit in state court in Bexar County, Texas brought by owner of expensive custom home alleging numerous design defects caused water intrusion through walls, windows and HVAC ductwork and negotiated favorable settlement after multiple mediations.
- Negotiated favorable settlement on behalf architectural firm which designed extensive renovations and expansion of convention center in San Antonio after claim for professional liability project policy limit was asserted by City of San Antonio alleging design defects and project delays due to inadequate design and contract administration.
- Represented geotechnical engineering firm in arbitration of claim brought by developer of high rise office building alleging extensive property damage, diminution in value of building and loss of rental income resulted from inadequate geotechnical study and drainage recommendations and negotiated favorable settlement before arbitrators rendered award.
- Rotary Club of San Antonio
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation South Central Texas Chapter, current member and former Board President
- Any Baby Can of San Antonio, Board Member
- Rated Martindale-Hubble AV Preeminent by Lexis Nexis
- Named among Best Lawyers in America by Best Lawyers, 2007-2013
- Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2006-2012
- Named among San Antonio's Best Lawyers by S.A. Scene magazine, 2011-2012
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy