John K. Round
2801 Network Boulevard, Suite 600
Frisco, TX 75034
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, Estate Planning Trust & Probate, Fiduciary Litigation, Financial Services, Real Estate, Tax
John K. Round has over 30 years of experience advising clients on all phases of estate planning probate and trust law. His practice involves the preparation of wills and trusts, marital deduction trusts, life insurance trusts, minor’s trusts, charitable trusts, private foundations, tax exempt entities, gift planning, marital property agreements, and estate and business planning for closely-held businesses including Family Limited Partnerships. He is also active in estate, trust and fiduciary administration practices including: probate and trust litigation, litigation practice involving fiduciary duties and responsibilities, probate and trust administration, gift tax return preparation, estate and inheritance tax return preparation, and gift and estate tax audit and litigation.
John currently serves as chair of Strasburger’s Tax Practice.
- Admitted, Texas; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Admitted, U.S. Tax Court
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Former Dallas Bar Association Probate, Trusts, and Estates Section, Council Member
- Former State Bar of Texas Trust Code Committee Member
- Instructor of Estate Planning SMU CFP Program
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D., 1979
- Senior Associate Editor, St. Mary’s Law Journal
- University of Florida, L.L.M. in Taxation, 1980
- Texas Tech University, B.B.A. in Accounting, 1975
- Advised clients on all phases of estate planning and the preparation of wills and trusts.
- Counseled clients on premarital, postmarital, separate property and community property agreements.
- Assisted client in issues involving separate and community property, including tracing for divorce and estate cases.
- Designed and implemented family limited partnerships.
- Represented business owners with buy-sell agreements and nonqualified benefit arrangements.
- Organized/counseled clients regarding various types of business entities.
- Assisted clients in various U.S. asset and stock purchases/sales.
- Counseled physicians, attorneys and CPAs in purchases/sales of professional practices.
- Negotiated various employment and management contracts.
- Organized/counseled clients regarding tax exempt charities.
- Represented clients in numerous Texas probates.
- Represented executors and trustees in estate and trust controversies, fiduciary duties and analysis and interpretation of trust documents.
- Represented clients in will contests and probate, trust, partnership and corporate litigation/mediations.
- Advised management and shareholder in business disputes.
- Counseled directors on corporate governance and fiduciary duties.
- Represented limited partners in disputes with general partners and general partners in disputes with limited partner.
- Represented taxpayers in gift, estate and income tax audits and appeals.
- Represented taxpayers in tax court litigation.
- Represented taxpayers in tax refund litigation.
- Advised clients on and the preparation of special needs trusts and related documents.
John is a frequent speaker before professional groups such as the AICPA Practitioners Symposium, the Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Course for the State Bar of Texas, the Advanced Drafting: Estate Planning and Probate Course for the State Bar of Texas, the Advanced Estate Planning Strategies Workshop for the State Bar of Texas, the Dallas Bar Association’s Tax Section, the Southwestern Legal Foundation Wills and Probate Institute, the Dallas Estate Planning Council, the San Antonio Estate Planners Council, PESI Trust Courses and Estate Planning Courses and the Advanced Estate and Financial Planning Conference of the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- Advisory Board of Dallas Foundation
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of America, Director
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of North Texas, Chairman, 1997-2005
- American Cancer Society Texas Division, Past Chair of Income & Development and Legacy & Planned Giving Committees
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), Fellow
- Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2013
- Named among Best Lawyers in America by Best Lawyers, 2010 and 2011, 2013-2014
- Named a Five Star Wealth Manager by Texas Monthly, 2011 and 2012
- Named Five Star Wealth Manager, 2013
- Named D Magazine Best Lawyer by Best Lawyers, 2013
Legal Administrative Assistant