Kevin J. Maguire
901 Main Street, Suite 4400
Dallas, Texas 75202
Commercial Litigation, Eminent Domain & Condemnation, Infrastructure & Land Use, Real Estate
Kevin Maguire is an experienced civil litigator with an emphasis on property disputes and eminent domain cases. Kevin primarily represents property owners of all types in matters involving government acquisition of private property for roads, schools, powerlines, gas-pipe lines and public infrastructure. He is a frequent lecturer on those topics as well. He also represents condemning authorities from time to time in cases for the acquisition land for schools, roads, utility lines, and other public facilities. He was lead counsel for the City of Dallas in condemnation proceedings for the American Airlines Arena. In addition to condemnation, Kevin represents clients in other matters involving government regulation of land including ad valorem tax appeals, zoning cases, inverse condemnation and regulatory takings.
- SMU Dedman School of Law, J.D., 1988
- University of Oklahoma, B.A., 1985
- Represented owners of a ranch which raised organic and NHTC Certified Kobe beef in Travis County, Texas. The State of Texas sued to acquire a substantial part of the ranch to build the new State Hwy 130. The Special Commissioners awarded $2.1 Million.to the property owner for the acquisition. Following a Jury Trial, a Judgment of $6.95 Million obtained for the property owner. The Judgment upheld on appeal.
- Represented a national developer which owns the Irving Market Center, a shopping center located on Airport Freeway (State Hwy 183) in Irving, Texas. The State sued client to acquire property to widen the freeway. The acquisition encroached upon a pad site and took parking. Judgment was entered in favor of our client for $4,541,029. based on Special Commissioners Award in the condemnation case.
- Represented a condemnor and obtained Declaratory Judgment that cancellation of billboard lease upon the acquisition of lessor’s property did not give rise to a Constitutional Taking/ Inverse Condemnation.
- Obtained jury verdict of $676,000 for the Defendant in a Hwy. 360 condemnation case. Commissioners had awarded $2,750.
- Land Use and Planning, University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas (22 March 2012).
- The Highest and Best Use of Real Property, CLE International. Dallas, Texas (28 Oct. 2011).
- Expert Witnesses from a Jury’s Perspective.,Forensic Expert Witness Association, Dallas, Texas (2009).
- Presentation of Evidence in Eminent Domain Cases, CLE International. Dallas, Texas (27 Oct. 2008).
- Expert Witnesses in Eminent Domain Cases, CLE International. Phoenix, Arizona (9 May 2007).
- Presentation of Evidence in Eminent Domain Cases, CLE International. Dallas, Texas (27 Oct. 2006).
- Expert Witnesses in Eminent Domain Cases, CLE International. Phoenix, Arizona (19 May 2006).
- The Right to Take: Public Purpose and Public Necessity, IRWA Spring Seminar (7 April 2006).
- The Highest and Best Use of Real Property, CLE International, Dallas, Texas (10 Sept. 2007).
IN THE NEWS
- TxDOT Use of Eminent Domain Benefits Private Firms, by David Schechter, WFAA.com, August 2nd, 2010.
- Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2012
- Rated Martindale-Hubble AV Preeminent by Lexis Nexis, 2002-2012
Vicki Ivy, PLS
Legal Administrative Assistant