Robert J. Witte
901 Main Street, Suite 4400
Dallas, Texas 75202
Commercial Litigation, Financial Services, Real Estate
Robert J. Witte serves clients in the area of business litigation in state and federal courts, including general contract, financial services, governmental regulation and compliance, business tort, ERISA, copyright and trademark infringement, construction, real estate, health care and telecommunications. Robert listens to clients, learns their business objectives and helps achieve those goals while minimizing risk. Robert serves on numerous civic and professional boards, and facilitates leadership development programs throughout the community and the bar.
- Admitted, U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted, U.S. Court of Appeals; Fifth and Tenth Circuits
- Admitted, U.S. District Courts; Western and Northern District of Oklahoma
- State Bar of Texas, Local Bar Services Committee, 2004-2011
- American Bar Association Business Law Section, Co-Chair; E-Discovery Subcommittee, 2008-present; Co-Chair, Appellate Subcommittee, 2004-2009
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Texas Young Lawyers Association, Board of Directors, 2001-2005
- Leadership TYLA, Founding Co-Chairman
- TYLA tenminutementor.com, Founding Co-Chairman
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Board of Directors, 1997-2005
- DAYL Foundation, Founding Life Fellow; Trustee, 2005-2009
- Leadership DAYL, Co-Chairman & Leadership Class Co-Facilitator, 1997-present
- American Bar Association Young Lawyer Division Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Texas State Bar College
- Ten Outstanding Young Americans, United States Junior Chamber, 2009
- Five Outstanding Young Texans, Texas Junior Chamber, 2008
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation Award of Excellence, 2008
- Five Outstanding Young Dallasites, Dallas Junior Chamber, 2007
- Dallas Heart Ball Debra Sue Payne Award
- Rated Martindale-Hubble AV Preeminent by Lexis Nexis
- SMU Dedman School of Law, J.D.,1993, cum laude
- Hatton W. Sumners Scholar
- The International Lawyer, Managing Editor
- Order of the Barristers
- Phi Delta Phi Honor Society
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award for Superior Proficiency in Advocacy
- University of Oklahoma, B.A.,1990, with highest honors
- Alexander Letzeiser Gold Medalist (Outstanding Male Graduate)
- Pe-et Honor Society (top ten seniors)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Mortar Board
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Cortez Ewing Fellow, United States Senate
- Carl Albert Undergraduate Research Fellow
- Sigma Nu Fraternity, President
- Campus Activities Council, Vice-Chairman
- Handled complex litigation matters with experience representing clients on both sides of the docket.
- Provided extensive representation to financial institutions with respect to security interests, foreclosure, workout, lien priority and other matters related to creditors’ rights.
- Represented clients in federal and state government enforcement and compliance matters.
- Advised clients on document retention and electronic discovery issues.
- Conducted appellate work in various state and federal jurisdictions, including the United States Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of Texas.
- Mediated and employed alternative dispute resolution, assisted clients in efficiently resolving disputes, often avoiding the expense and risk associated with trial and appeal.
- Represented clients in the enforcement and defense of copyright and trademark infringement matters.
- Conducted nonsubscriber litigation for major corporate entities.
- Speaker, Texas Bar CLE, Advanced Civil Trial Course.
- Speaker, Texas Bar CLE, Choosing & Courting a Jury Seminar.
- Speaker & Course Co-Chair, Texas Bar CLE, Federal Practice Seminar.
- Speaker & Course Co-Chair, Texas Bar CLE, New Lawyer Seminar and Practice Skills Course.
- Co-Author, Appellate Law & E-Discovery Chapters, ABA Section of Business Law: Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation.
Robert Witte has experience presenting on the following topics:
- Ethics and Professionalism
- Electronic Discovery/Document Retention
- Legal Writing and Editing
- Collecting on Debts and Judgments
- Pretrial Discovery under the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure
- Local Rules in Federal Court
- Non-Profit Governance & Management
- Community Service and Leadership Development
- Trinity Commons Foundation, Board of Directors, 2011-present
- Common Unity (Seven Loaves Food Pantry), Board of Directors, 2011-present
- North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee Volunteer Action Team, Vice Chair
- Texas Rangers Season Ticketholder Advisory Board, Board Member, 2008-2011; Chair, Game Day Operations Committee, 2010-2011
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Lone Star Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2010-present
- Greater Dallas Planning Council, Executive Committee, Board of Directors, 2009-present; 2009 “MetroMorphosis” Symposium Chair
- Dallas Summer Musicals, Board of Directors, 2008-present; Curtain Call Gala Co-Chair
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of North Texas, Past Board Chair; Board of Directors, 1996-2009
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of North Texas Wish Night, Founding Co-Chairman
- MDA’s Dallas Legal Leaders: The Hot Hundred Who Care, Founding Co-Chairman
- St. Andrew United Methodist Church, Chancel Choir, Middle School UMYF Crew Leader
- Dallas Arts District Alliance, Board of Directors, 2005-2009
- International House of Blues Foundation, Founding Member, Dallas
- Leadership Dallas, Class of 1997, Active Alumnus
- Dallas Regional Chamber, Leadership Dallas Alumni Board, 2003-2010
- University of Oklahoma College of Arts & Sciences, Board of Visitors
- OU Club of Dallas, President, 2007-2008; Board of Directors, 2001-2009
- OU President’s Associates Council
- Rainbow Days Advisory Board
- Named D Magazine Best Lawyers in Dallas by Best Lawyers, 2005, 2007-2009, 2011, and 2013
- Top 40 Business Leaders Under 40, Dallas Business Journal, 2002, 2004 and 2005
- Named Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2011
- Named D Magazine Best Dallas Lawyers Under 40 by Best Lawyers, 2002, 2004 and 2005
- Texas Young Lawyers Association President’s Award, 2005
- 2003 Dallas Outstanding Young Lawyer, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Who’s Who in America
- Named among The Best Lawyers in America®, (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC), 2013-2014
Legal Administrative Assistant